23.12.14

Buggrit! Millennium Hand and Shrimp!

                You may call me a Grinch, a grumbler, or a grouch, but I am not a fan of the Holiday season.  I am perfectly OK with that fact.  I get far too stressed out every year.  I have a feeling that if I kept track of my blood pressure on a regular basis, there would be a dramatic spike from the middle of November through the end of the year, every year.

                Every time, money is scarce, and yet the number of things that I need to spend money on seems to increase exponentially during the holiday season (I need to find a way to switch my annual car registration to sometime in summer, so it stops falling on the week before x-mas).  Of course, this always makes things stressful; a lack of money when you need it has got to be one of the most nerve-racking aspects of our society.  Maybe it’s the primary reason that I’m such a Scrooge; money is tight and that paints the rest of life in a stressed-out light. 

                However, I always manage to get by; in hindsight money was never quite as tight as I usually assume it is.  So my dislike of the holidays can’t be solely blamed on that.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there’s so much less sunlight to work with. 

The sun has barely risen when I drive to work in the morning and it’s in the process of setting by the time I head home.  I enjoy my time outdoors, I love going in to the hills by myself and finding some time away from everything else.  With the lack of sunlight, there are precious few opportunities to do that.  When I can’t do the things I love, I get grumpy.

                Then again, maybe that’s not it at all.  Maybe my problem with the holidays these past few years stems from the seemingly inevitable defeat of the Packers at the hands of an NFC West team in the playoffs.  The way the last few years have gone, I would not be shocked at all if the Packers lose to the Cardinals this year, let alone the Seahawks.

                As much as these and a myriad of other tiny things tend to get on my nerves during the holiday season, the fact that so many people I care about are always in town and available to spend time with does make it all worth it.  I say this so that you all know that at times I may seem grumpy and I may complain about this time of the year, but despite my Grinch like attitude, I love every one of you and I wish you all the best time of your life to this point, and the hope that it gets even better from here on out. 

                One more thing: x-mas gift-shopping this year has been troublesome, therefore for most of my readers, in place of a purchased gift, I’m offering you something else.  I love to cook, and many of you apparently enjoy my cooking.  So in lieu of a purchased gift this year, I offer each of you a recipe of mine.  I’ve never written most of them down, I just keep them in my head.  Sometime this week though, I’m going to type up all the recipes of mine that I can think of, along with detailed instructions.  Contact me to let me know which one you want, and I’ll get it to you.  When I have a list of all of them, I’ll post it in the comments section for this post on Facebook. 

Also, if you love the sound of one or more of the recipes, but aren’t much of a cook yourself, I promise to have you over for dinner at some point in the next year, where I plan on coming up with a number of new recipes.  My goal for next year is going to be coming up with at least one new recipe a month, and I’m going to be focusing on my favorite two types of food; Soul food and French food… I may even try to combine them at some point… Southern Fried Chicken Cordon Bleu anyone?


                Enjoy!  Happy Holidays!  Also, I sincerely hope that all of your football teams lose, unless you are a fan of the Packers, like a sane person should be…

No comments:

Post a Comment