21.10.14

I Moustache You a Question...

                I have had a beard or a goatee for over 10 years now.  During that decade, I have only been clean-shaven a handful of times.  I love my beard, I like how it looks, and it keeps my face warm.  Sure it has its drawbacks, not everyone approves of facial hair, sometimes it tickles, and every once in a while I get food in it and don’t notice until someone points it out.



                Well next month I will be embarking on a journey of mustachioed proportions!  Next month is Movember.  Yes, you read that correctly, it is not a typo, that month just started with an “M”.  During the month of Movember, men everywhere grow out their moustaches in order to entice other people to ask the simple question, “Why?”  And the answer may be better than you realize...



                The Movember event is encouraged and propagated by a group of the same name.  The Movember Foundation is partnered with many different men’s health research groups, non-profits, and awareness groups.  For those not aware, “Men’s Health” pertains primarily to the following issues:  Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, and Mental Health.  All of these problems, as well as a myriad of others, are horribly debilitating and shockingly under-treated.

                What the Movember Foundation does during the upcoming month is gather men together across the world and encourage them to increase awareness of men's health issues.  

                Via the Foundation's website, men (and women!) are able to register for the month-long event. Once registered, the men go clean shaven on Movember 1st and grow a moustache (NO BEARDS) for the entire month.  When the people they encounter in day to day life ask them, “Why?” they refer them to the Movember Foundation and the men’s health issues in desperate need of attention in our society. 

Then, once informed, the people are encouraged to make a donation to the Movember Organization, citing their chosen moustache extraordinaire as their inspiration for doing so.  The money will then be distributed to different men’s health research and awareness groups, to help bring attention and aid to those suffering from these health issues for far too long.



So if you want to try growing a moustache for this noble cause, or even if you just want to donate or help out, please do so and let’s beat back these Malcontent Maladies with the Majestic Might of the Moustache!
  




All of this being said, this is the point where I could use some reader input… What style of moustache should I cultivate?  I'm having trouble deciding, so I'm putting some of the pressure on you... Here are a few styles that I’m ruling out automatically:

The Charlie Chaplin: 

The Pencil Thin ‘Stache:

Anything that requires wax:


Please make suggestions for the style of my ‘stache in the comments section below or on facebook…


Thanks, and happy Movember!

No comments:

Post a Comment